Self-guided Individuals and Families
Whilst the John Muir Award scheme operates largely through established organisations, many individuals, families and small independent groups participate, designing their own John Muir Award based around the places and activities that interest them.
It is easy to do. Activities that might contribute include:
- A series of family outings
- Working towards a Duke of Edinburgh’s Award
- A college, club or University expedition
- An environmental or outdoor hobby e.g. climbing, birdwatching, sailing, hillwalking…
- Educational or training courses e.g. drystone walling, Mountain Leadership, plant or bird identification, interpretation techniques…
- Volunteering with environmental or community organisations
- Creative activities – painting, drawing, photography, film-making, writing articles or poems…
- Campaigning or fundraising for local or national conservation issues
You can view a selection of John Muir Award Individual & Family case studies here.