Help influence new legislation for wild land
Proposed new legislation - the Planning (Scotland) Bill - is currently being considered by the Scottish Parliament. There are many aspects to the Bill which could improve the protection and enhancement of our environment, including Scotland’s unique network of “Wild Land Areas.” The planning system could also be changed to give fair weight to local communities’ concerns about planning decisions. Read on to find out how you can help ensure the Planning Bill delivers these objectives.
Help ensure the Planning Bill improves wild land protection
We think the Planning Bill needs to have a much stronger focus on the environment than currently drafted - and specific amendments to improve protection for Scotland’s wild land. There is strong public support for wild land protection from large-scale infrastructure such as industrial-scale wind farms, major electricity transmission and super-quarries. Current planning policy protects National Parks and National Scenic Areas from large-scale wind farms - the Planning Bill gives an opportunity to extend that protection to Wild Land Areas.
Take action - help plan a better Scotland
17.05.18 Stage 1 Report published - read our response welcoming the Committee's recommendation that a "Purpose for Planning" and Equal Rights of Appeal be given further consideration at the next stage in the process. MSPs will soon be able to propose Amendments to the Planning Bill and we will need your support then - updated guidance will be available here once this process begins but if you want to write to politicians now please see our existing guidance
Thank you for your help so far!
Other things you can do
Write to the press – letters to the press are a great way of raising awareness about the changes that are needed to the Planning Bill to protect Scotland’s Wild Land Areas. Write to your local or the national press.
- Sign up for our monthly e-newsletter here for the latest news on the campaign and further actions you can take.
- Spread the word about the campaign on social media #
- See our timeline for the Keep it Wild campaign/Planning Bill here
- Background reading - more about the issues driving our campaign
- Contact the campaign email@example.com or 01796 484938
Make a donation to protect wild land
It takes time and resources to protect wild land from inappropriate developments. Your gift to our Campaign Fund will help to:-
- Fund expert help to challenge inappropriate developments at Public Local Inquiries
- Inform and meet key politicians and decision makers to secure support for wild land protection
- Raise awareness and inspire more people to act now to protect wild land
You can donate by using the form at the bottom of this page.