Stronelairg Campaign: take actionPublished: 4th August 2016
Action now closed:- Please write letters and apply pressure on the Scottish Government and SSE not to seek costs against us
Action now closed -thank you for your support.
We have ended our legal case against the proposed 67-turbine Stronelairg windfarm - but you can still help...
- Write to your MSP – find out who your MSPs are here. Please write to both your constituency MSP and your regional MSPs. If you don’t have an MSP/live outside Scotland write to the Minister – see below.
- Write to the Minister – Paul Wheelhouse MSP, Minister for Business, Innovation and Energy, St Andrew's House, Regent Road, Edinburgh EH1 3DG. (If you live in Scotland, it’s also worth writing to your MSPs.)
- Write to SSE - Richard Gillingwater CBE, Chairman, Inveralmond House, 200 Dunkeld Rd, Perth PH1 3AQ. (If you are a customer of SSE or one of its subsidiaries you might wish to mention this!)
- Write to the press – please help to keep this story in the news by writing to the national, local and specialist press. Top tips for writing to the press
Suggested points to cover in your letter
- Express your disappointment/anger/frustration that the Trust had to go to court to try to stop the Stronelairg wind farm
- Say that the planning regime in Scotland remains weighted in favour of developers with huge financial resources at their disposal
- Highlight the fact that the Stronelairg judicial review brought together a wide coalition of conservation, environmental and outdoor organisations representing tens of thousands of members from all walks of life who are concerned about the damaging impact of inappropriate industrial-scale development in wild land
- Explain that the Judge in December stated clearly that the Trust was taking this action for the public good - this is a key point!
- Say that you do not think the Scottish Government and SSE should now be seeking costs against the Trust for challenging a case that had been shown to be in the public interest - this is a key point!
Email or letter?
It’s more of an effort and there is the cost of the stamps, but hard copy letters have much more impact than emails so it’s well worth the effort to send a letter if you can. However, as this is an urgent action please don’t delay if sending a letter!
We know it is much easier to fill in template letters or emails. However, experience and feedback shows that letters in your own words have the most impact. We know it is extra work and are very grateful to you for taking the time to do this.
Meeting with your MSP/s
Don’t forget that as well as writing to your MSP/s you can also raise this issue by speaking to them at the drop-in surgeries that they hold in their constituencies. These are usually advertised locally, otherwise get in touch with their offices to find out when your MSP is next in your area, and to make an appointment if needed.
Please let us know if you have sent a letter or met with your MSP, and what response you get.
Other things you can do to help
- Donate - at this stage it is not clear what our total liability for the legal action will be. If you feel you can, make a donation online or telephone 01796 470080. Stronelairg appeal now closed.
- Keep up to date with the latest campaign news - sign up for our e-news