Looking for ideas? Below are some inspiring ways the Award has been used to support learning across the curriculum.
- Encouraging pupils to develop connections with wild places in their local community at Bonhill Primary School
- Supporting social emotional wellbeing through outdoor learning as part of a Nurture approach in East Ayrshire
- Engaging pupils with special qualities of local wild places through the Commons for All project in Cumbria and Shropshire
- Improving parental engagement in children’s learning at Golfhill Primary School, through the Family John Muir Award
- Raising attainment through supporting literacy, numeracy and health & wellbeing with the John Muir Family Award at Shortlees Primary School.
- Supporting pupils’ transition from primary to secondary school at Torfaen Youth Service, creating opportunities to make friends, boost confidence and recognise achievement through outdoor learning together
- Bringing sustainability to life through direct experiences of urban nature, through a whole year interdisciplinary project at Bellahouston Academy
- Increasing opportunities to access wild places for young people facing barriers to learning at Ardfern Learning Centre, through hands-on tasks and transferable skills development in Loch Lomond & The Trossachs National Park
Teacher education and professional development
- Supporting teacher education for those at the start of their careers to deliver outcomes linked to education for a sustainable future and encourage pupil-led learning
- Supporting pupil achievement and staff professional development in outdoor learning through a cross-curricular project at Boclair Academy
- Engaging further education students in various college courses, including making links with Learning for Sustainability and taking action for local communities
Learners of all ages
- Engaging young people and adults alike in supporting pollinators to thrive in their local communities, whilst learning about their importance for people and wildlife
Find further ideas, resources and examples relating to health and wellbeing, literacy and nature and skills for life via our webpages.