Ideas and resources
There's no limit to the number of ways you can fundraise for the Trust – whether you’ve got an urge to kayak the country’s coastline, run a marathon or hold a John Muir fancy dress competition, we’re right behind you
However you choose to raise money, it’s great if you can let us know so we can provide any help or items you need such as a running vest, logos or printed materials. Please email us or call 01796484979 and tell us about your plans.
Need some inspiration? Check out these past adventures
Oli Warlow - Classic Rock by Bike
Oli completed the amazing feat of climbing and cycling between every route in ‘Classic Rock’- the original climber’s tick-list by Ken Wilson. That’s 2,269m of climbing and 2,500km of cycling - raising over £1,500 for the Trust in memory of a friend and fellow climber Jamie Fisher, who took on the same challenge back in 1997.
Adrienn Hortobagyi - Great Glencoe Challenge
John Muir Trust member Adrienn raised over £300 by taking part in the 26.2 mile ‘trekathon’ from the heart of Glencoe to the foot of Ben Nevis - topping it off with a trip to the summit to end on a high!
Carol Budd - Tiree Half Marathon
In May 2018, Carol ran the Tiree Half Marathon, managing to raise over £800 for the Trust through race sponsorship and a bake sale. If you'd like to raise money for us through a running event, please get in touch!
Bob and Jean Oliver - Wedding donations
When Bob and Jean celebrated their wedding in April 2018 their guests donated over £1,120 in lieu of gifts to mark the couple’s shared love of the wild places and stunning scenery that the Trust protects.
Tips for fundraising success
- Set up an online fundraising page – you can find out more about how to do this on our Online giving page.
- Set a fundraising target on your page– according to Just Giving, pages with targets raise 46% more than those that don’t.
- If you know someone who’s likely to be generous with their support – ask them to donate to your page first (people are more likely to give higher amounts if they see others have done so).
- Tell your story – why does the work of the John Muir Trust inspire you?
- Keep your page updated with photos or news about your fundraiser – you can use this as an opportunity to share the link again and remind people to sponsor you.
- Don’t be afraid to keep posting reminders – use our selection of social media graphics along with your own photos to mix it up.
Download a sponsorship form
If you want to gather sponsors the traditional way, download our sponsor form. Our Gift Aid form will ensure every pound you raise is worth an extra 25p.
In the face of dramatically increasing pressures on the land and its inhabitants I believe that it is essential for our wild places to be actively cared for. I firmly believe that the conservation and rehabilitation of nature by the John Muir Trust has long term viability. I give whenever I can. I urge you to do likewise.Paul Rose, Life Member and supporter of the John Muir Trust