UPDATE March 2016 - we have had a fantastic response to our appeal and have raised over £50,000 towards the Suilven path restoration project. A huge THANK YOU to everyone who has made a donation. Work on Suilven's path is expected to begin in Spring 2017 and you can keep updated on the project by signing up to our newsletter.
From coastal trails to mountain routes, the Trust carries out multiple path work projects every year funded entirely by your donations. You can support this vital, ongoing work by making a donation to our Wild Ways Path Fund.
Suilven rises dramatically from the spectacular landscape of the community-owned Assynt Foundation estate in West Sutherland. Due to increasing popularity, fragile soils and a harsh climate, Suilven’s main path is rapidly deteriorating. Restoration work is vital if we are to prevent further erosion, protect the surrounding landscape and preserve the wild character of the area for the benefit of all. Find out more.
“The most magical walk I have ever known was on Suilven. It is a very special place, in a wonderful setting.” Sir Chris Bonington, Mountaineer
Your donations will help us to:
- repair 2.5km of the path on this iconic mountain, creating more sustainable and durable access
- minimise loss of vegetation and soil damage, maintaining the area’s fragile biodiversity
- continue longer term maintenance of the path, working with volunteers and local contractors
- improve visitor experiences and provide education about how to enjoy wild land without adversely affecting it
- release additional funding from the European Outdoor Conservation Association, the Heritage Lottery Fund and Scottish Natural Heritage towards the £200,000 total project cost